I’m cheap and I hate crowds. This means that vacationing during my spring break is pretty much my worst nightmare. I’m not saying that you should pull your kids out of school for a cost effective vacation, I’m just saying that I’m glad my kids have good grades (wink, wink).
I’ve been in the mom game for almost 10 years now and decided to share a few, well five of my favorite Spring Break Staycation ideas with you.
1. Get A Room – Book a hotel in your area. My husband and I love finding deals through Hotwire. The best part about using Hotwire for staycations is that you know the area well and won’t be surprised if you book a mystery hotel on the borderline of a gang turf. Will neither confirm nor deny that this happened to us.
2. Library – Check your local library’s schedule. Many libraries plan extra activities during spring break. Make sure you call ahead as most events hosted at libraries require you to RSVP. To find your local library, visit USA.gov. P.S. I don’t know how legit this site is and I apologize in advance if you end up seeing some funny business… Unless it’s one of those days where you need to see some funny business and if that’s the case, you’re welcome.
3. Get to Know your Locals – Everyone in your area knows that kids are out of school. Libraries, Bounce Houses, Movie Theaters, Museums, Play Spaces like Kidville or Gymboree all offer unique experiences and sometimes even camps during Spring Break.
4. Par-tay! – Host a last day of school celebration. Let’s not get crazy here, I hate hosting and would rather pick up your tab at a restaurant than have to ask you if you want more wine 10 times but what I don’t hate is getting my kids in on the excitement of putting our own party together. Get decorations at your dollar store, let the kids put together the playlist and enjoy the 5 minutes of bliss before they start fighting again. I swear it’s all worth it.
5. Take Me Out to a Ball Game! – Wrong song, wrong sport. ‘Tis the season for Basketball! Spring Break is the perfect time of year to take your family to watch a college basketball matinee game or the only reason I ever go to a sporting event, to have footlong hot dogs and hope that the crowd participates in a mean wave.
Whether you decide to brave the crowds at Disney or avoid your children at all costs while they are home from school, enjoy your Spring Break!
For more great Spring content, be sure to check out these awesome posts written by my fellow Chosen Chix bloggers: